COP 27 – level 3
On November 6, 2022, representatives from 197 countries convened in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, for the 2022 UN climate conference COP 27.
They met to strengthen action against global warming. Each of them had their own concerns and interests, which made a huge challenge to consensus.
China is the world’s biggest greenhouse gas emitter; additionally, the country is increasing its coal use to prevent energy security risks. The Chinese president said the country would try to lower carbon dioxide emissions at 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality before 2060. The United States is the world’s second biggest emitter, and its target is to reduce carbon emissions by 1 billion tons annually by 2030.
The EU’s greenhouse gas emissions comprise about 8% of the global total, and they have been trending downwards for years. The EU has pledged to cut all emissions from 1990 levels by at least 55% by 2030 and then zero by 2050.
Fast-developing countries like Brazil, South Africa, India, and China have highly polluting economies, and they have asked rich countries for more climate allowances. They stated that wealthy countries were historically responsible for the current problems.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.