Cop City – level 3
The so-called Cop City, a 90-million-dollar Atlanta Public Safety Training Center is meant to boost preparedness and morale after George Floyd’s murder in 2020.
The police training facility is under construction in the largest urban forest in the US, situated outside Atlanta. It’s been the site of several protests, including one that ended with a police officer shooting and killing a 26-year-old environmentalist.
More than 30 people have been detained for throwing Molotov cocktails, fireworks, rocks, and bricks at police officers during a protest at the facility. They were charged with domestic terrorism, a felony that carries up to 35 years in prison. Law enforcement agencies claim that the groups are terrorizing project workers and endangering local residents. The project and police response to protesters has caused outrage among other groups too, including faith leaders.
Difficult words: morale (the spirit a group has that makes them want to succeed), Molotov cocktail (a bottle filled with flammable liquid that people use as a weapon), felony (a serious crime).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think is the best approach for balancing public safety and respecting protesters' rights?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos