COP28 deal – level 2
The COP28 summit which took place in the United Arab Emirates concluded with a significant deal. The deal asks nations to shift away from fossil fuels to deal with climate change.
Some people criticize the deal because there is not a clear commitment to stop using fossil fuels, but the deal calls for a global transition towards net-zero emissions by 2050. Cop28 president Sultan Al Jaber emphasized its historic nature because countries didn’t follow the Paris Agreement.
Many people see the deal as a move away from coal, oil, and gas, but others argue that it doesn’t do enough to reduce pollution and help countries which are the most affected by climate change. The next meeting, COP29, will be in Baku, Azerbaijan, next November.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What were some criticisms of the deal made at the COP28 summit and how do they align with the goals of the Paris Agreement?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.