COP28 deal – level 3
After two weeks of at times fractious negotiations in the United Arab Emirates, the COP28 climate summit concluded with a groundbreaking deal urging all nations to transition away from fossil fuels to combat climate change.
Despite criticism for lacking a clear commitment to phase out fossil fuels, the agreement calls for a just and equitable global shift from fossil fuels to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. Cop28 president Sultan Al Jaber emphasized its historic nature and a comprehensive response to the global stocktake that revealed inadequate adherence to the Paris Climate Agreement.
While praised for advocating a move away from coal, oil, and gas, critics cited failures in emission reductions, finance for vulnerable nations, and unclear language favoring fossil fuel interests.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What criticisms have been brought up regarding the COP28 climate summit agreement and its call for a transition away from fossil fuels?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.