Copper business – level 3
Copper prices doubled during the pandemic, as the industrial staple benefited from a supply crunch, surging consumer spending and the accelerating transition to renewable energy systems.
What does copper tell us about the post-pandemic economic environment? Copper is used in so many products that it’s a bellwether on how the world economies are doing. The price of copper is likely to keep increasing, and the reason is the lack of more supply, the increased demand coming about as the world is now getting back with both feet on the ground, and it’s moving forward with expanding economies.
Governments around the world have launched economic recovery packages in response to the recession brought on by the pandemic. However, the question is whether copper producers are prepared to leverage this new era for their development.
Difficult words: staple (a principal raw material or commodity grown or manufactured in an area), bellwether (a leader or sign of trends), leverage (to use something to maximum advantage), recession (a time when many businesses lose money).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.