Coral bleaching – level 1
The Great Barrier Reef is 1,931 kilometres long. It is in Australia. It is the biggest living ecosystem. It is in danger.
This year is very hot. The water is getting hot, too. This is not good for the coral. The coral dies when the water is too hot. The coral turns white. There is no life in it. It is just rock. This is called “bleaching”.
People fly from Australia to Papua New Guinea. They film 500 coral reefs. 95% of them are white and yellow.
Difficult words: reef (a line of coral, rock or sand in the water), ecosystem (a group of living things), coral (a large plant that lives in the ocean).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.