Corals get white – level 1
There is an underwater heatwave. This is bad for corals. The corals are bleached.
They lose their colour because the water is too warm. A bleached coral is white.
Around 38 per cent of corals are bleached this year. Around 12,000 square kilometres of corals die.
Difficult words: heatwave (when it is too hot), coral (an animal which lives in the sea and looks like a piece of rock), bleach (to make something white).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation for the corals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.