Coronavirus and Restaurants – level 3
Restaurants across the US are starting to reopen; however, guidelines vary from state to state.
Common rules include reductions in capacity, keeping tables six feet apart, limiting the number of people per group, and requiring people to wear masks or face coverings.
Georgia was one of the first states to allow restaurants to reopen. However, many owners chose not to reopen, because the reduced capacity rules made it nearly impossible to make money.
In Ohio, restaurants are allowed to open their outdoor dining spaces first with indoor following later. One owner installed shower curtains between tables to help maximize the number of people who could sit at once. Plexiglas was too expensive and difficult to install.
Choosing to reopen comes with its own risks. Diners must not hug the staff, and the staff need to make sure that diners are washing their hands.
Difficult words: guideline (a general rule or piece of advice), reduction in capacity (lower the number of people or things), maximize (to make something as big as possible), Plexiglas (a solid, thick transparent plastic that looks like glass).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.