Coronavirus and Tourism – level 3
COVID-19 helped nature recover from the tourism industry when a plunge in visitors allowed nature to curb environmental damage at overrun hot spots.
Some countries do not want to go back to the destruction of mass tourism, and they want to make the tourism industry more sustainable. The Thai Environment Ministry has declared that all national parks in Thailand will close for three months every year, starting in 2021. Since Thailand banned overseas visitors, more killer whales have been spotted in Thai waters. Rare turtles have been laying eggs on beaches that are normally packed with sunbathers.
However, many businesses in hot spots like Phuket are being badly affected by re-opening delays. Travel and tourism made up about 12% of Southeast Asia’s GDP and 13% of jobs in 2019
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.