Coronavirus crisis in India – level 1
A big coronavirus crisis is in India. More than 350,000 people get sick every day. Hospitals are full. Some people do not get to hospital. They die at home.
Families burn dead bodies outside. It is possible to see the flames at night. Hospitals do not have enough oxygen and drugs.
The US and some European countries help India. They send material for vaccines, ventilators, and drugs. They hope that it will help stop the crisis.
Rich people do not want to stay in India. They book a private plane. They leave the country. They fly to Europe and the Middle East.
These people are some of the richest people in India. Some families spend all the money which they have. They are scared of the coronavirus.
Difficult words: crisis (a very dangerous and difficult time), flame (the hot gas which a fire makes), vaccine (a medication that stops a sickness or an illness), ventilator (a machine which helps an ill person breathe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.