Coronavirus in Europe – level 2
Some European countries imposed tough restrictions because of the coronavirus. Italy, France, and Spain hope that the situation is getting better, and they are planning to loosen some of the restrictions.
Italy will open factories on May 4; however, schools in the country will stay closed until September. In France, the government plans to open schools on May 11. Spain will allow outdoor family activities and exercise in May, too.
After six weeks, children in Spain could leave their homes on Sunday, and they filled the streets of towns. Their parents had to stay at home too, and they could only go out when they really had to.
Some countries do not want to loosen the restrictions because they are afraid of a second coronavirus outbreak.
Difficult words: impose (to make someone follow rules), tough (strong or very difficult), restriction (a rule that says what you can do; it is usually less than what you normally can do), loosen (to make something less strict).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.