Coronavirus in Europe – level 2
Countries in Europe successfully slowed outbreaks of the coronavirus in spring this year. But most countries are declaring more new cases every day now than in spring.
Governments are imposing new stricter rules which makes many people angry and confused. The first wave of the coronavirus hurt many people economically and mentally too.
Now it seems that there will be even more problems, and people do not like it. All across Europe, governments are closing down pubs, bars or gyms. In Madrid, the capital of Spain, people can travel in and out of the city only if it is necessary.
Experts say that governments must think carefully about new rules. It is important to keep the virus under control; however, people must understand the rules and why it is necessary to follow them.
Difficult words: outbreak (a sudden start), declare (to say something officially), impose (to force people to accept a new rule or law), wave (a lot of events happening at one time), mentally (connected with the mind and thinking).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.