Costa Concordia after 2.5 years – level 3
Police have released underwater footage showing the inside of the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise liner, just days before it is set to be re-floated.
The cruise liner will be towed away from the Italian island where it ran aground and capsized two-and-a-half years ago. Underwater footage of the stricken cruiser liner, whose capsize claimed the lives of 32 people, showed the submerged decks of the ship littered with objects including pillows, shoes and books.
The ship’s ornate reception area can be seen partly above water levels, with sofas, tables and computers remaining in place. The re-floating might start as early as June 13, and the arrival of the summer weather has allowed for it to be towed to Genoa to be broken up for scrap.
The captain is on trial accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.
Difficult words: cruise liner (large ship for cruising– sailing for pleasure), tow (pull), capsize (be overturned in the water), stricken (seriously affected), claim (take), submerge (covered in water), ornate (highly decorated), scrap (old metal for reprocessing), manslaughter (killing somebody because of negligence).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.