Couples change last names after wedding – level 1
Many women change their last names when they get married. Women in many countries use their husbands’ last names. Some women use both last names.
Not many men change their last names when they get married. Only about 3% of American men do it.
More and more couples do something different. They use a new last name. They often put together their last names. They make one last name from them. This is not usual. A court must officially agree with the new name.
Some women keep their last name. They have a good job. Many people know them. They don’t want to change who they are.
Difficult words: last name (the person’s family name which comes after the first name), couple (two people or things that are together), court (a group of people who officially decide about official things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.