Couples change last names after wedding – level 2
In many countries in the world, women usually take their husbands’ last names after they get married. In other countries, women usually keep their own last names, and they add their husbands’, too.
Men do not usually take their wives’ last names. In the US, only about 3% of men do it. There is no similar term for ‘maiden name’ for men. The maiden name is the last name of a woman before she got married, and then she took her husband’s name.
In the US, it is happening more and more often that couples use a combination of their last names. For example, they make a word that starts with the first letters of the husband’s last name, and it ends with the woman’s first letters of her last name. It is unusual, and a court must approve the new last name.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.