COVID-19 vaccination in the EU – level 3
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said that 70% of the European Union´s adult population was fully vaccinated against COVID-19, hitting a target that was set at the beginning of the year.
Von der Leyen said that the EU reached an important step in its vaccination campaign, with more than 250 million people immunized. However, the pandemic isn´t over, and the EU must stay vigilant. This means that many more Europeans need to get vaccinated quickly to avoid a new wave of infections and to stop the emergence of new variants. Taking children and teenagers into account, more than 55% of the overall EU population has been fully vaccinated, compared with 52% in the US, 61% in Israel, and 64% in the UK.
The EU has sent about half of the vaccines made in Europe to other countries in the world, which is as much as it´s given to its citizens, contributing to a global and fair access to vaccines across the world.
Difficult words: immunize (to protect someone against a particular disease or infection, often by giving an injection), vigilant (keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties), emergence (coming into existence).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.