Cows in Switzerland – level 1
People know Switzerland for Swiss cheese. The cheese comes from cow’s milk. The cows are in pastures in the Swiss Alps. They are about 1,800 metres above sea level. There are ponds for the cows up there. Normally, there is water for drinking.
However it is summer now and it is hot. In this part of Europe, it is extreme. It never rains.
There is almost no water in those ponds for the cows. People must help them. Helicopters fly up there with water. One helicopter can carry 800 litres per trip.
Difficult words: pasture (land covered with grass), pond (a small lake; space in the ground with water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos