Crane operator saves a man – level 2
A massive fire broke out at the Station Hill site in Reading, UK.
A worker got trapped on the roof of a building. The panic was growing, but Glen Edwards, a 65-year-old crane operator, skillfully lowered a cage to the endangered worker. Onlookers watched as Edwards maneuvered the cage before it finally reached the right position. Eventually, the trapped worker boarded the cage, and to the relief of the spectators, he got to safety.
The fire service applauded Edwards for his remarkable rescue. Two men got treatment for smoke inhalation, but there were no other reported injuries from the incident.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What made Glen Edwards take such a courageous action to save the worker trapped on the roof?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.