Crime and police in South Africa – level 1
There is a lot of crime in South Africa. Every day, people kill around 50 other people. The situation is getting worse.
Near Johannesburhg, An incident happens. There is a robbery. The police see this.
The policemen shoot the criminal. He falls on the ground. A policeman comes to him. He shoots him. Another policeman come to the man. He kicks the criminal. The man is still alive. Then, another officer comes. He shoots and kills the man. This incident shocks people.
Difficult words: incident (a situation when something happens), robbery (when you rob a place or a person – to take something), kick (to hit with your leg).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the situation in South Africa?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.