Crime and police in South Africa – level 3
It happened in just under 3 seconds. After South African Police shot and killed a man after an apparent robbery, the CCTV video of the incident which took place near Johannesburg has been labelled as an “execution” by local media.
The man runs, falls, and lies on the floor. As the police officer approaches him, he pulls out his gun. We have decided not to show the moment of death, but just after this image, the officer aims, and fires.
Even after he has been shot, another officer walks up to him and kicks him. After the kicking, he is still alive. And then another officer takes aim and shoots.
Government figures released last month show South Africa’s murder rate increased around 5% this year to nearly 50 per day. And robberies at residential properties are up 5.2%.
An independent group investigating the police in the country has opened a murder case against the officers involved.
Difficult words: apparent (probably true), label (to name), execution (when somebody is killed for doing something illegal), take aim (to point s gun at the target and be ready to shoot), figure (a number, an officials statistic), residential (for people to live in).
What do you think about the situation in South Africa?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.