Croatia Earthquake – level 2
A strong earthquake hit Croatia on Tuesday, and it was the strongest earthquake since 1880.
The epicenter was near the town of Petrinja, and the earthquake damaged most buildings there. It is not possible to use the buildings now. The magnitude of the earthquake was 6.3, and it was so strong that people as far away as in Hungary and Austria could feel it, too. At least five people died and authorities had to evacuate many buildings.
In 1963, an earthquake near the town of Skopje killed more than 1,000 people and destroyed almost all of the town. This week’s earthquake was even stronger than the 1963 earthquake.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.