Croatia uses the euro – level 2
On January 1, 2023, Croatia started to use the euro, and then the prices of almost all products went up.
Many people are upset about the situation, and some of them had to find an extra job. In January, traders rounded prices, and for most products, prices went up by five to twenty percent. Traders said that the reasons were the rise in prices of materials and energy, but oil, electricity, and water didn’t change in the previous two months.
Inspectors checked hundreds of businesses in January, and they found that 40% of them increased prices too much. Traders used the situation to increase prices more than they should. The government said that traders had to cut prices or they would face sanctions.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.