Crocodile attacks a girl – level 3
18-year-old Amelie Osborn-Smith from Hampshire, UK, was whitewater rafting on the Zambezi River in Zambia when a crocodile grabbed her leg, and it tried to drag her under the water into a characteristic death roll, in order to control its prey.
The girl’s father along with her friends fought off the crocodile, and people transported Amelie to a hospital in Zambia. Her lower leg was badly mauled, her lip was broken, and her right foot badly injured. Having received immediate treatment, people then repatriated her to the trauma unit of a London teaching hospital in the UK.
Amelie said that despite suffering frequent flashbacks and nightmares, the event would not stop her from returning to Zambia in the future. She added that she could now see that life could be over so quickly, and one event shouldn’t hold anyone back from having a full life.
Difficult words: characteristic death roll (a normal action for the crocodile which is to roll with its prey to kill it), maul (to wound by scratching and biting), repatriate (to send someone back to their country).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.