Crooked House pub burns down – level 1
The Crooked House pub is in Staffordshire, UK. New people buy it. After just nine days, it catches fire.
Two days later, a machine starts to demolish the building. People are surprised. Many people came to the place. They feel sad about losing the old pub. Police think that someone starts the fire. It also seems that the owners do not have permission to demolish the pub. News say that an excavator is near the pub one week before the fire.
Thousands of people sign a petition. They say that the owners must build the pub again.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are people's thoughts and feelings concerning the demolition of the Crooked House pub?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.