Crossing a River in the Air – level 3
Ukrainian 78-year-old Khrystyna Rosokha lives in a small village where a river blocks access to the shops. She has to take a several-kilometre detour, or she can use a flying trough.
Fifty years ago, the woman’s husband invented the trough.
On the trough, it takes five minutes to cross the river versus walking for 30 minutes. The woman says that she used to not be afraid of the river, but she is now as the river’s depth is 4 to 5 metres. She added that if she fell before, she would be injured, but she knew that she could get to the riverbank. She worries that she would not be strong enough now.
The local authorities plan to build a bridge near her home.
Difficult words: access (a way to get somewhere), detour (a way around), flying trough (a device made from pulleys and ropes to pull something over an area), local authorities (the local government).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos