Cuddlers help babies – level 1
A neonatal intensive care unit is a place in the hospital. Very young babies are there. The staff must look after them all the time. Parents stay with the children, too. They cannot be there all the time. They feel bad about it.
The staff get an idea at a medical center in Chicago, USA. They start a volunteer cuddler program. This program starts 35 years ago.
People in this program get special training. They learn how to cuddle babies. They learn how to make them feel good. Many of the volunteers are parents.
Volunteers cuddle the babies. They sing and talk to them. Studies show that these babies feel better. They are healthier. Their parents feel better, too. Their children are not alone.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.