Cuddlers help babies – level 3
For over 35 years, Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, USA, has been helping infant patients and their families through a volunteer cuddler program.
When families are away from the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), volunteers comfort infants with cuddles. Families can’t be in the hospital all the time, but the babies had needs after they left. The staff understood these needs, and volunteer cuddlers helped. A lot of the volunteers are parents whose children were in the NICU before. After undergoing extensive training, they are using their experiences and skills to provide other parents a sense of relief and security.
Studies show that interactions like holding, rocking, singing, reading and talking to the infants reduce stress and pain, and they improve their overall physical health.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.