Cult members die – level 1
A cult is a small religious group. These people follow their leader. They do not usually belong to any official religion.
Police find 47 dead bodies at a farm in Kenya. Police believe that these people belong to a cult. Its leader is Makenzie Nthenge. He asks his followers not to eat. If they don’t eat, they will meet Jesus. Many people die. Police find graves at the farm. Police believe that some people run away.
Search teams wear white overalls and masks. They are still searching the ground at the farm. It is possible that they will find more bodies.
Difficult words: religious (related to a god), follower (a person who listens to a leader and does what the leader wants), grave (a hole in the ground where a body of a dead person lies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the leader of the cult believed to have asked his followers to do?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos