Cult members die – level 2
Kenyan police found several bodies of cult members at a farm which belonged to the church’s leader.
Officials said that the bodies belonged to a cult called the Good News International Church whose leader, Makenzie Nthenge, told his followers to starve themselves to ‘meet Jesus’.
Last week, police launched an operation after they got information about shallow graves on Nthenge’s farm in the east of the country. Police found 47 bodies but the search continues not only for more bodies but also for survivors of the cult. Search teams wearing white overalls and masks are continuing to dig at the site.
Officials believe that some survivors ran away to a nearby forest.
Difficult words: cult (a small and unofficial religious group), starve (to suffer or die because you don’t eat), survivor (a person who continues to live after a dangerous or difficult situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What evidence have the officials found to suggest that some survivors may have run away to a nearby forest?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos