Current situation in Iraq – level 3
Misery and fear.
The faces of tens of thousands of Yazidi refugees who fled Islamic state militants have found themselves trapped on Mount Sinjar since last week.
An exhausted woman tries to comfort her wailing child while an elderly woman sheltering under a blanket begs for help.
Children with their heads bandaged can be seen sobbing or sitting seemingly stunned by the situation.
The Yazidi refugees, from one of Iraq’s minority religious communities, have been sheltering on Mount Sinjar near the Syrian border after fleeing advancing militants who seized their homes.
They’re facing extreme temperatures and little food or water.
IS fighters have already killed at least 500 members of the Yazidi minority, allegedly burying some of their victims alive and kidnapping hundreds of women.
Difficult words: refugee (somebody who must leave their country), flee (to leave quickly), militant (person who fights to achieve a political change), trapped (stuck), exhausted (very tired), wail (to cry loudly), shelter (hide), sob (to cry), stunned (shocked), advance (move forward), minority (small group), seize (take by force), allegedly (according to what some people say), kidnap (to take somebody somewhere by force).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos