Dam in Brazil bursts – level 1
This news is from southern Brazil. There is a dam. It holds water from a mine.
The dam breaks. The water covers villages. It kills fifteen people. Forty-five people are missing. Around 600 people must move away.
We do not know why the dam burst. We must wait for more information.
Difficult words: dam (a big wall which holds water), mine (a big space in the ground where people find things like metal or coal), be missing (if somebody is missing, we do not know where they are or if they live), burst (to break open).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think happened to the dam?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos