Dam in Brazil bursts – level 3
A burst dam in Mariano, southeast Brazil, is thought to have killed at least 15 people. A nearby town has been devastated by mudslides, obstructing access to the region by officials. At least 45 people are still feared missing.
Owned by Anglo-Australian mining giant BHP Billiton and the Brazilian company Vale, the dam was built to hold back water and residue from mining operations, a mixture that can often be toxic.
Footage shows destroyed villages, derelict houses and abandoned cars tossed on their sides.
Around 600 people are being evacuated to higher ground from Bento Rodrigues, a village about four miles beneath the dam that burst. Authorities said the flood had also reached another village further down the hill and that inhabitants there were also being evacuated.
The dam’s owner, Brazilian miner Samarco, said in a statement it hadn’t yet determined why the dam burst or the extent of the disaster. The residents in the region can only await answers for the cause and outcome of this disaster.
Difficult words: devastate (to destroy), obstruct (to block), residue (leftover), derelict (in a very poor condition), abandoned (without people), tossed (thrown), inhabitant (a person who lives somewhere).
What do you think happened to the dam?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.