Damaged Easter Island statues – level 3
After a wildfire swept through Easter Island last week, some of the iconic Moai stone statues suffered irreparable damage.
The blaze in Chile’s Rapanui National Park caused several of the statue stones to crack. According to officials, the damage was unmeasurable, and it was impossible to repair the statues because the fire warmed and cracked the stones. A preliminary report from Chile’s Heritage ministry stated that the fire started on Tuesday and burned nearly 150 acres of land. The causes were unknown for the fire and damaged statues.
The island is about 3,200 kilometers from the coast of Chile, and its inhabitants carved over a thousand of sacred statues of giant heads centuries ago. It had only recently reopened to tourists after more than two years due to the pandemic.
Difficult words: irreparable (impossible to repair or make right again), unmeasurable (impossible to measure), sacred (regarded as very valuable or respected).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos