Dangerous driver in Britain – level 3
Police have released this horrifying video of the moment an enraged driver slammed his brakes on in front of a moving lorry.
The incident happened on M5 the during the summer, when one driver’s road rage nearly cost him his life.
The heart-stopping video shows the blue Citroen swerving and braking in front of the lorry, which was travelling at 60 miles per hour (96 kilometres per hour), before speeding off just inches from the front of the HGV.
A police spokesman said not only was the driver putting his life on the line, but also that of his wife in the passenger seat and other road users who could have been caught up in the carnage.
He was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, 112-month driving ban and left with 145 pound bill for court costs. He must also retake his driving test.
Difficult words: enraged (very angry), slam (to hit something very hard), brakes (a thing in the car which can make the car go slower or stop), road rage (sudden anger of a motorist because of another driver), heart-stopping (scary), swerve (to change direction suddenly), HGV (heavy goods vehicle), carnage (violence).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.