Dangerous Insect – level 1
East Africa has a big problem with locusts. A locust is a big insect. It eats a lot.
Locusts fly from one place to another. They eat everything. They fly in large groups. These groups can be 60 kilometers long and 40 kilometers wide. There are billions of locusts in one group.
Farmers in Africa are very unhappy. Locusts destroy all plants that they grow. It is very bad for people. They do not have enough food.
The situation in Kenya is very difficult. Officials want to kill the insects. They spray the locusts with chemicals.
Some people say that it is not possible to stop the locusts. Officials say that the chemicals are very strong. They believe that they can kill all locusts.
Difficult words: insect (a small animal that has six legs and that can fly), spray (to put small drops of liquid that look like fog into the air or on something), chemical (a thing that scientists make that people use to make other things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.