Dangerous Lettuce – level 2
There was an outbreak of dangerous bacteria in at least 23 US states. More than 100 people ended up in the hospital, and some people had serious problems with their kidneys.
Health officials believe that the bacteria comes from romaine lettuce harvested in Salinas, California. However, they do not know the exact source of the infections. They advise consumers not to eat romaine lettuce from the Salinas area.
Growers must take romaine lettuce off of the market for the rest of the growing season.
Difficult words: outbreak (when a sickness starts suddenly and with many people), bacteria (a small animal that lives in dirt, water, or the human body), harvest (to pick crops), consumer (a person who eats or uses something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.