Dangerous medicine – level 1
More than 300 children die in Gambia, Indonesia, and Uzbekistan. The children use a cough syrup. The medicine usually helps with a cough or a cold.
Dangerous chemicals are in the syrups. The chemicals make the children have serious kidney problems. Little amounts of the chemical are deadly. These chemicals must not be in the syrups.
People buy the syrup in stores. They do not need their doctor to help them buy it.
The World Health Organization says that people can buy the syrups in the Philippines, Senegal, and Cambodia. Authorities must check companies carefully that make medicines. Companies must test their products more often.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the three countries where children are dying because of a cough syrup that has dangerous chemicals in it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.