Dangerous Way for Chinese Children – level 3
A group of children in China have a dangerous journey to get home from school because they have to climb over a mountain cliff using wooden ladders.
To reach their remote village, they climb about twenty metres to the top while carrying bags or other items.
Villagers and even dogs travel this way, making it look almost easy. However, it is terrifying for some people, as they say it makes their legs shiver and they dare not look down.
Getting to the top is a relief as family and friends greet these children. Many of the students study in a school thirty miles away and have not been home in months.
The people in the village long for a safer way to get there, but they believe that a better future lies in getting education for their children.
Difficult words: shiver (shake), dare (be brave and do something), long for (want to have).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How do these students get home from school every day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos