Davos 2024 – level 3
The final Davos panel of 2024 revealed an uneasy equilibrium in the world, where a more positive economic backdrop is overshadowed by numerous geopolitical risks.
Despite prospects of easing inflation and a global trade upswing, European Central Bank Chief Christine Lagarde highlighted the shift toward ‘normalization’ but cautioned against viewing it as true normality. The optimism at Davos, especially among business leaders, raised concerns for some observers who recall that Davos consensus has historically been inaccurate. Business leaders expressed optimism about increased sales and consumer demand, prompting questions about the need for six rate cuts in the US.
Geopolitical uncertainties and a lack of market reaction to such risks were noted, leading to a focus on potential tail risks like unexpected rate cuts or heightened geopolitical tensions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What were some of the notable concerns raised by business leaders at the final Davos panel of 2024, and how do they differ from previous years?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.