Dead fish in ocean – level 1
A trawler is a very big ship. It catches fish with a wide net. The net is more than one kilometer long.
Martinis is the second biggest trawler in the world. Last week, it spills fish in the sea. Its net breaks. More than 100,000 dead fish float in the Atlantic Ocean off the French coast. Such accidents do not happen often. French officials want to know how it happens.
Such big ships catch too many fish. That is why the number is going down of fish in the oceans. Other animals end up in the nets, too. Predators which eat fish, die, too. They have nothing to eat.
Difficult words: spill (to flow out from a container), float (to move slowly in the water or the air), predator (an animal which kills another animal for food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos