Dead whale on a beach – level 2
A whale died a few weeks ago off of Newfoundland. Its body washed up on a beach. The locals there worry as the body slowly rots and bloats.
The smell gets worse every day. Right now, people come to see the whale. But some people worry about the town’s future tourism. The whale is a problem when it comes to health of the community as well.
Difficult words: wash up (when water moves something out of the water), locals (people who live in a place), rot (to be destroyed slowly by a natural chemical process), bloat (become filled with gas).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever seen a whale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.