Dead whales in England – level 1
In England, five whales get on beaches. The whales die. People write “Man’s Fault” on of the whales. “Man’s Fault” means that the whale is dead because of people.
People write “CND” on another whale. This means “Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament”.
We do not know why the whales got on the beaches. Experts look at the whales. They try to find out more.
Difficult words: whale (a very big animal which lives in the sea), Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (a group that does not want nuclear bombs), find out (to get to know).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why are the whales dead? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.