Dead whales in England – level 2
Five sperm whales washed up on beaches in England. Somebody spray-painted “Man’s Fault” on the tail of one of the whales. Somebody wrote “CND” on another whale. It means Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.
The cause of the deaths is not known, but experts will examine the bodies. This, however, is not the first time that whales beached in the North Sea. Twelve whales died between the Netherlands and Germany in January.
Difficult words: sperm whale (a whale that has teeth, a big head and eats giant squid), disarmament (getting rid of weapons), examine (to look at carefully).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why are the whales dead? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.