Dead woman in a suitcase – level 3
The body of an American tourist has been found stuffed into a suitcase on the Indonesian island of Bali, and the victim’s daughter and her boyfriend were arrested on Wednesday.
In what police suspect was a gruesome murder, the suitcase contained the body of 62-year-old Sheila Von Wiese Mack. The case was found in the boot of a waiting taxi at the high-end St Regis Hotel on the resort island.
Forensic investigators say the victim was hit by a blunt object on her face and head. Mack’s daughter, Heather, 19, and her boyfriend Tommy, 21, are now in custody. Police say the young couple left the suitcase in the taxi and went to check out, but didn’t return after two hours. The two were apprehended at a budget hotel about a mile away from the St. Regis after a day-long police chase.
Difficult words: suspect (think), gruesome (shocking and violent), boot (back of the car for moving luggage), forensic investigators (police scientists who investigate a crime), blunt (not sharp), custody (prison before people go to court), apprehend (catch).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.