Deadly disease in India – level 2
There was an outbreak of swine flu in December in India. The government there is trying to control the epidemic, but 774 people died and almost 13,000 people are sick.
This outbreak is not the first one. There was an outbreak just five years ago in India – the disease killed 2,700 people. Now, the Indian government has made sure that hospitals have everything that they need. A campaign on TV and radio is also helping – it tells people what to do to stay healthy.
Difficult words: outbreak (when many people get sick with a disease), swine flu (a type of disease that starts with pigs), government (the “bosses” of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you worry about your health?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.