Death Penalty in US – level 1
The death penalty is a way to punish criminals. A judge decides for the death penalty when someone does something very bad. Many countries in the world use the death penalty in the past. However, it is not so usual today.
The death penalty is legal in the US. 28 US states use it. The death penalty is a difficult process. It costs a lot of money.
More and more people do not agree with the death penalty. People are afraid that judges can make mistakes. It is possible that a wrong person gets the death penalty.
Experts are optimistic. They believe that COVID-19 can change things. People do not want to think about death.
Difficult words: death penalty (when officials kill someone who does something very bad), punish (to make someone suffer because he does something bad), optimistic (when someone believes that something good can happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.