Death Penalty in US – level 2
The death penalty in a legal form of punishment in the US. Currently, 28 states use it; however, the situation is changing.
More judges do not like to use the death penalty. Since 1976, officials executed more than 1,500 people; however, the number is going down every year.
Judges sometimes make mistakes. People who did nothing wrong get a death penalty. A lot of people believe that the death penalty is wrong and dangerous.
Experts say that the COVID-19 pandemic is a good chance to make some changes. When a big problem comes, the number of death penalties goes down. Execution is a complicated process, and it costs a lot of money. Also, a big problem brings people together. People are changing their opinions on the death penalty.
Difficult words: death penalty (when someone is killed because he did a serious crime), punishment (what legally happens to someone who did something bad), execute (to kill someone who did something bad), execution (when a judge tells the police to kill someone who did something bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.