Deaths in Myanmar – level 1
The Rohingya is a small religious minority that lives in Myanmar. They are living in a very serious situation. They are Muslims. They live in a country where Buddhism is the main religion.
The Myanmar government attacks the Rohingya. Thousands of them now escape to Bangladesh. A UN official says that the risk of genocide for these people is very high.
UN officials find that Myanmar security officers hurt Rohingya through some “clearance operations”. This is when they make Rohingya leave.
The UN says that Myanmar is doing nothing.
A leader of a UN group says that the situation of Rohingya in the Rakhine state is serious. He says that the government is responsible for the deaths and the crimes against humanity.
Difficult words: minority (a small group of people in a place where other people live), escape (avoid capture; get away with something) risk of genocide (how possible it is that a people can kill another people because of their race, religion, political beliefs, or other differences), crime against humanity (when someone hurts or kills ordinary people during war).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos