Deer with a vampire’s teeth – level 3
Halloween might be old news but something pretty scary has been discovered in Afghanistan.
More than 60 years after its last confirmed sighting, a deer with vampire-like fangs is said to still be stalking northeast Afghanistan slopes.
The animal, known as a Kashmir musk deer, was last spotted by a Danish survey team in 1948.
Five sightings were recorded by the survey team, including an adult male who was spotted in three locations, and a female with a youngster.
The amazing creatures are categorised as endangered due to habitat loss and poaching.
Their scent glands are coveted by wildlife traffickers and are considered more valuable by weight than gold, fetching as much as $45,000 a kilo on the black market.
Poachers also target the male’s distinct sabre-like tusks, which are used during the rutting season.
Difficult words: old news (in the past), fang (a large sharp tooth), stalk (move), vampire (a monster who looks like a human and has long teeth), scent gland (an organ which produces smell), covet (want), trafficker (someone who collects something illegally to sell it), fetch (bring), sabre (a heavy sword), tusk (a long pointed tooth), rutting season (the season of sexual activity for some animals when males fight for the females).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.