Dengue Fever – level 2
Recently, heavy rains and floods hit Bangladesh, killing at least 61 people, and over 800,000 people had to leave their homes.
The wet environment means that there are now many mosquitoes which transmit diseases. One of the diseases is the dengue fever. It is a lot like having the flu, but you can die from the dengue. Eight or more people died in Bangladesh of dengue this year, and more than 13,000 are sick with it. Last week, there were over 1,000 cases of dengue in just 24 hours.
Bangladesh told CNN that the outbreak is the worst since 2000. Dhaka, the country’s capital, was hit the hardest, and hospitals do not have enough room for all the sick people.
Difficult words: environment (a place), disease (something bad which happens to your body because of viruses or bacteria), outbreak (when many people suddenly catch a disease).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos