Dengue Fever – level 3
Recently, heavy monsoon rains and floods hit Bangladesh, killing at least 61 people, and displacing over 800,000.
The wet environment is perfect for mosquitoes which transmit diseases, and one of them is the dengue fever. It causes flu-like symptoms, vomiting or a rash. At least eight people died in Bangladesh this year and more than 13,000 were sickened. Over 1,000 of those cases were diagnosed over the period of 24 hours last week.
Bangladesh told CNN that the outbreak is the worst since it started keeping records of dengue cases in 2000. Dhaka, the country’s capital, has been hit the hardest, as hospitals do not have enough room for all the sick people.
Difficult words: monsoon (a wind which brings a lot of rain every summer in south east Asia), displace (make you leave your home because of danger), outbreak (when many people suddenly catch a disease).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.